Alexander started in IP in the legal department of a multi-national, where after he joined a niche firm, and after a few years joined a renowned IP firm in Amsterdam, working for clients, from start-ups to sports; fashion; technology and design driven businesses, helping them with IP management, design and branding strategies, counterfeit, cross border litigation, conflict advice, structuring, DD, and licensing. Alexander joined HGF January 2017.
Alexander is interested in both the legal and commercial aspects of IP. He spends time listening to and working with clients to understand their business, so to be able to help adopt an IP strategy that fits the business, plans and financial interests of the client. As such and in that position, he is often invited to counsel at board level.
WTR 1000 says; “...Alexander Hagen is an authority on corporate IP issues...” (2014), “…incredibly prompt and clear in his advice, and a favourite of household-name brands…” (2015), “…represents prestigious brand owners including cosmetics companies and football clubs; …licensing and due diligence procedures among his specialisms” (2016), "dynamic... devises highly creative trademark strategies and razor-sharp litigation tactics; licensing and financial IP planning are also fortes..." (2017).
Alexander has been an active member of a.o. the Benelux Association of Trademark and Design Law (BMM), VViE, LES, the International Trademark Association (INTA), and MARQUES, and is a certified Benelux and European Trademark & Design Attorney.
Alexanders other activities include:
- Speaker at congresses and seminars in the field of Intellectual Property
- Coach for Start-ups, New Venture, a.o.
- Lecturer and Examiner vocational training of Benelux Trademark and Design Attorneys (BBMM), Lecturer for CPO, lecturer students HBO’s Arnhem, Breda and Amsterdam
- Interviews and opinions on IP subjects in National newspapers, magazines and on TV
- Publishing on subjects in the field of Intellectual Property, a.o. in WTR, BMM, MIP. Honourable mention Wim Mak award for “Post Postkantoor” 2004