Trainee Patent Attorney – Bioinformatics
Job ref: Trainee/Bio/UK
Sectors: Life sciences
We are looking for a candidate with hands-on scientific experience (either at post-doc level or as a research scientist in industry) of bioinformatics.
The work you will be involved in is cutting edge, our clients work on bioinformatics techniques to improve sequencing, classify microbiome samples, detect biomarkers and design drugs.
We are particularly keen to hear from candidates with experience in any of the following areas:
- Bioinformatics to improve the processing of sequencing data
- Bioinformatics to classify microbiome samples
- Bioinformatics to design drugs
- Drafting of patent documents for review by manager
- Dealing with client queries in a professional and timely way
- Construct technical arguments with a view to prosecuting patents
- Supporting attorneys in ensuring that legal deadlines are met
- Liaising with clients and answering queries
- Progressing through UK and European Patent Attorney Qualification exams alongside work
- Providing support to attorneys as needed across the HGF Life Sciences team
We are looking for someone with a passion for intellectual property who holds a first degree in microbiology or experience of microbiome therapeutic/OTC technologies and a masters or PhD concentrating on bioinformatics. We would also love to hear from you if you have developed your bioinformatics skills later on such as during a post-doc and research posts, practical bioinformatics experience would be highly valued. Beyond this, they key skills needed for the role are:
- Experience in a professional working environment would be beneficial
- Strong written communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- A team player who is comfortable working on independent tasks
- Ability to digest and act upon constructive feedback
- Attitude and aptitude to want to develop your skillset
- Personable individual with a client focused mentality
Why move to HGF?
- HGF takes a transparent and merit-based approach to your career development and you will have the opportunity to shape your long-term progression.
- We’re a firm with a focus on DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion), with a staff led DEI Focus Group and an DEI Board sponsor
- As a business we have a dedicated Learning and Development team and a digital learning platform for all staff to use
- A competitive salary and benefits package along with a flexible working policy
HGF is committed to promoting an equal, diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all candidates with relevant skills for the role.
If the above sounds like the opportunity for you, please apply by sending your CV and a covering letter which outlines in no more than 500 words a brief summary of your experience and interest in the bioinformatics field.
You would like to contribute your professional experience to an expanding law firm? Then we would be pleased to receive your application. Please apply by sending your CV to: [email protected]