Inclusivity in the workplace
At HGF we are committed to supporting inclusivity in the workplace. HGF believes that IP can provide a rich and rewarding career, but understand that it can also be a high-pressure environment.
IP Inclusive was established in 2015 by members from organisations including CIPA, the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (ITMA), the IP Federation, the UK association of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI-UK), the UK Intellectual Property Office (UK IPO) and Managing IP magazine. The aim has been to establish a platform for employers in the IP sector to work together to promote equality, diversity and inclusion. For more information see http://www.ipinclusive.org.uk.
The IP Inclusive Charter takes the form of a commitment to adhere to the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in all aspects of employment practice, especially recruitment and retention, career development and workplace ethos. The Charter now has over 100 signatories.
Working together with IP Inclusive, HGF offers all our colleagues a variety of resources including HGF hosted events and a HGF IP inclusive committee comprising Chair and Partner Jason Lumber, HR Director and Partner Carol Watkiss, Partner Vanessa Stainthorpe and Marketing Director Jacqui Weston. By signing up to the IP Inclusive Charter, HGF is committed to supporting equality, diversity and inclusion by:
- Having in place a named individual within our organisation as Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Officer. This person will be sufficiently senior to make change happen and to be accountable for our progress.
- Having in place a written Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy for our organisation and making everybody in the organisation aware of it.
- Promoting openness and transparency so as to demonstrate merit-based equal opportunities in our recruitment and career progression process.
- Acknowledging the effects of unconscious bias and introducing measures to tackle it.
- Monitoring and reporting internally on our progress using measures and at intervals that are appropriate to our size and nature.
Sharing our experience within the IP Inclusive community helps build an effective network for equality, diversity and inclusion across the IP sector.
HGF are also proud to support in2scienceUK, an inspirational charity that gives young people from low income backgrounds the opportunity to reach their potential in science, technology, engineering.
The young people supported by in2scienceUK have limited opportunities but are able to progress to careers in STEM through the award winning in2scienceUK work placement programme.
As part of our partnership, HGF will be providing a workshop to give young people knowledge on career pathways in IP. Together we will support diversity and inclusion in STEM and IP. To find out more about in2scienceUK please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on IP Inclusive please contact Vanessa Stainthorpe.