Geoff provides specialist advice regarding the registration, management and protection of intellectual property rights and, in particular, trade marks and designs. He is a highly experienced practitioner before the UK and EU Trade Mark / Design Registries and provides strategic advice regarding international IP protection strategies. His practice covers diverse industry sectors including, in particular, pharmaceuticals/veterinary, software, engineering and fashion.
Highlights of Geoff’s career and important issues on which he has advised include:
- Registration of corporate colours, computer file suffixes and the name of a spiritual movement;
- Complex invalidity actions concerning the scope of protection provided by registered Community Designs;
- IP due diligence on many high-profile corporate deals.
- Variety of enforcement actions for high-profile brands;
- Management of the worldwide trade mark portfolio of the ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire’ TV game show.
Geoff began his career as a patent and trade mark attorney, before qualifying as a solicitor. Subsequently he worked in industry within the IP team of a global mutlinational company, before becoming a partner in the trade mark department of a London law firm. Geoff joined HGF in 2004.
Geoff is qualified as a registered trade mark attorney and as a UK solicitor. He is a member of the UK Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys, the European Community Trade Mark Association and the International Trademark Association (INTA). He is a member of the INTA leadership committee relating to the harmonisation of trade mark law. He is an editor of the leading practitioner's guide the 'Community Trade Mark Handbook' and contributes to the 'Community Design Handbook'.